Facts & Figures
Lurie Children's works to provide the best possible care for patients and their families. The data below provides a deeper insight into our mission and our superior care.
- More than 239,000 children receive the highest-quality medical care at Lurie Children’s each year.
- Lurie Children’s treats more children insured by Medicaid than any other hospital in Illinois.
Our Medical Staff
- We are the largest pediatric provider in the region. Our medical staff includes more than 1,800 physicians and allied health professionals in 70 pediatric specialties.
- We were the first children’s hospital in the country, and the first hospital in Illinois, to earn the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet Award for Nursing Excellence.
- Lurie Children’s continues to be the top ranked childrens's hospital in Illinois and the only children's hospital in the state to rank in all 10 specialties by U.S. News & World Report.
- Lurie Children’s was named a level I pediatric surgery center by the American College of Surgeons (ACS) for the third time, becoming the first children’s hospital in Illinois to earn this status.
- In 2018, Lurie Children's was named one of the country's 20 most innovative children's hospitals by Parents magazine.
- Lurie Children’s is partnering with the Center for Health Design to examine the impact of hospital design on stress levels of patients and their parents.
- We have a sustainable facility that is twice the square footage of our old hospital, but energy costs have increased by only 20%.
- According to FY20 data, 93.8% of families in surgical services would recommend our hospital. See more patient satisfaction scores
- All 21 operating rooms are equipped for minimally invasive surgery.
Government & Advocacy
In FY21, the institution invested $231 million in unreimbursed charity care, under-reimbursement from caring for patients insured by Medicaid, and community benefit programs.
- Charity care, losses due to Medicaid reimbursement below cost of services and other uncompensated costs: $170.2 million
- Resident and fellow training: $24.4 million
- Family support and interpretation services: $10.3 million
- Research funding, net of Grants and Philanthropic Support: $18.0 million
- Community clinic support: $1.5 million
- Child advocacy programs: $6.6 million
- Total community investment: $231.0 million
Philanthropic support is essential to Lurie Children’s in order to provide the highest quality, family–centered pediatric care and research for children. Lurie Children’s Foundation partners with individual, families, foundations and corporations to raise important funds to sustain and advance the programs, services, technology and recruitment needs of Lurie Children’s and help the hospital care for more than 200,000 children annually.
We conduct more pediatric research than any other hospital in the region.