Become a Hospital Volunteer
If you're a current hospital volunteer, click here to access the volunteer portal.
What Is the Role of a Hospital Volunteer?
Volunteers are incorporated throughout the hospital and its outpatient centers in a wide variety of roles, from greeting families and guests as they make their way through the building to play-based roles with patients and siblings.
What Are the Requirements?
- All volunteers must be 18 years or older (unless applying to summer-only programs).
- All hospital volunteers must commit to volunteering weekly. Most assignments require a minimum six month commitment.
- All applicants must complete a health clearance and background check. Any expenses incurred to complete the health clearance are the responsibility of the applicant*.
- Volunteers are asked to pay a $20 fee for their hospital uniform and ID*.
- Volunteers are encouraged to use public transportation if possible, but will have access to the parking garages. Validated parking for volunteers will be the same price as families and visitors of the hospital.
*We are committed to eliminating financial barriers to volunteering for candidates who face financial challenges, and to helping them find affordable solutions. Please do not hesitate to apply for volunteering based on the expense involved.
What Are the Steps to Get Started?
- Complete the application for the hospital volunteer program you're interested in.
- If your interests and experience are a match, a Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to arrange next steps.
- Complete a candidate screening, which includes:
- An Interview
- Health Clearance
- Including proof of COVID-19 vaccination (w/ booster)
- Background Check
- Volunteer Orientation
- Assignment-specific training
Q: What is the time commitment for hospital volunteers?
A: The hospital depends on reliable and dedicated volunteers. There is a minimum commitment of six (6) consecutive months or one-year, depending on the program. Volunteer shifts are typically 2-3 hours long, once per week.
Q: I am in the process of looking for a job and my schedule is flexible right now, can I begin volunteering?
A: We request that you wait to apply to volunteer until you have a clear idea of your long-term availability and can determine whether volunteering will fit into your schedule.
Q: How old do you have to be to volunteer?
A: 16 is the minimum age; most opportunities for high school students are during the summer program.
For any additional questions about volunteer opportunities at Lurie Children's, call 312.227.3388.
Impact Delivered to Your Inbox
Every Child Update is a monthly e-newsletter from Lurie Children's focusing on inspiring patient stories, advances in patient care and research, and opportunities to get involved with the hospital.
Success! You have signed up for this newsletter.
Error! There was an unexpected problem. If this error persists, please call 312.227.7500.
Thanks! You are already signed up for this newsletter.
We respect your privacy and do not sell, rent or trade our donor lists.
Every e-mail we send will offer the ability to easily control which messages you receive from us.