Specific treatment for tonsillitis and adenoiditis will be determined by your child's physician based on:
- Your child's age, overall health and medical history
- The extent of the infection
- The type of infection
- Your child's tolerance for specific medications, procedures or therapies
- Expectations for the course of the infection
- Your opinion or preference
Your child's physician will determine the best treatment for your child. Treatment depends on the cause of the infection, the severity of the infection and the number of times the child has developed infections. Your child's physician may also order antibiotics to help with the infection. Some children may be referred to an ear, nose and throat surgeon to have the tonsils and adenoids removed. This surgery is called a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy (T&A). Often, the tonsils and adenoids are removed at the same time.