The Lurie Children's Difference
In order to achieve our goal of opening the stenosed vein or veins, the Pulmonary Vein Stenosis Program team that will be caring for your child has many members, including:
- Intensivist cardiologists who supervise the daily care of your child while hospitalized
- Interventionist cardiologists who attend to your child during diagnostic catheterizations and stent placement procedures
- Cardiac surgeons, board-certified in Congenital Cardiac Surgery, who will operate on your child to relieve the stenosis
- Imaging cardiologists and radiologists who provide detailed information about the type of stenosis
- Cardiologists who will follow your child after hospital discharge
- Advanced practice nurses and physician assistants who specialize in cardiology and cardiac surgery
- Specially trained cardiac care nurses who provide holistic care for your child's complex physical and mental needs
- Many technical and support staff in our clinical labs (for example, pediatric cardiac sonographers, cardiac catheterization technologists, certified EKG technicians, etc.) and offices.
As your child grows, our Heart Center team also understands that your child needs more than a healthy heart to thrive. Our Neurodevelopmental Clinic provides close monitoring of our complex patients from hospital discharge through school age. For families traveling from a distance we have easy access to a close-by Ronald McDonald House, built in 2012, with 70 private guest rooms.
We are also within the Northwestern Memorial Hospital complex, and for our patients who need transitioning to adult care, we have an integrated Adult Congenital Heart Disease program with Northwestern Medicine.
We know/understand that children born with pulmonary vein stenosis and their families face difficulties, but our Heart Center team will partner with you to provide expert, innovative, compassionate, and individualized care for your child, allowing them to meet these challenges throughout the years they are followed at Lurie Children’s.