What to Expect at Your Evaluation
Your child’s evaluation team will include Dr. Laguna as well as a team of multi-disciplinary specialists including a respiratory therapist, a genetic counselor and a nurse. The evaluation will include:
- Review of your child’s medical history
- Physical examination
- Blood tests
- Nasal nitric oxide test – measures the level of nitric oxide gas in the nose
- Pulmonary function tests – assesses how much air your child can breathe in and out, how fast they can breathe and how well the lungs deliver oxygen to the blood
- Nasal scrape ciliary biopsy – examines how well the cilia function
- Genetic test – looks for gene mutations common in children with PCD
Your child will also be evaluated by a genetic counselor with specialized expertise in PCD in addition to a respiratory therapist with knowledge in advanced airway clearance techniques.
At the end of your evaluation, you will receive a preliminary diagnosis so that your child can begin treatment. Our team will follow up with a confirmed diagnosis once all of your child's laboratory test results are available.