Care at 8 locations
Lurie Children’s has one of the largest, well-trained and experienced physical therapy teams in a freestanding children’s hospital in the Midwest. Our physical therapists evaluate and treat premature babies, full-term infants, young children, pre-teens and teens having health issues associated with motor development and movement dysfunction due to disease or injury. Motor and movement dysfunctions are frequently identified at birth or in early childhood, but can appear at any point in the continuum to young adulthood.
The goals of our physical therapy treatments are to maximize your child’s:
- Developmentally-appropriate body movements and functions
- Potential for pain-free living
- Ability to participate in daily activities like school, sports and other recreational activities
Physical Therapy News & Stories
Our Approach to Pediatric Physical Therapy
Our physical therapists believe in idea sharing between therapists, among members of our multi-specialty teams and with parents and families. As a parent, you can count on this collaborative approach no matter who you see for physical therapy. We deliver the best outcomes for your child because we invest in a highly educated and trained workforce, collaboration and teamwork.
Our physical therapists start with a thorough baseline evaluation of your child, which usually takes about one hour. They will examine and observe your child while exploring your child’s medical history, discussing their health issues and talking with you about the goals of physical therapy. At the close of the evaluation, our therapists will present their findings and results, and give you a plan for physical therapy tailored to your child’s needs. The plan will include a proposed schedule and frequency for physical therapy treatments.
Your child’s physical therapy, depending on your child’s treatment plan, can include many different therapeutic modalities, including some of the following:
- Tailored exercises
- Elongating tight muscles and strengthening weak muscles during active exercise
- Specialized equipment to help your child meet their therapy goals
- Training children in the use of assistive and adaptive devices such as braces, various crutches and walkers
- Application of advanced knowledge regarding motor development
- Sport specific rehabilitation to ensure timely return to sport
- Individualized home program with instructions in exercises and positioning to meet your child’s needs
For teenagers who need ongoing physical therapy treatments into young adulthood, we make sure the transitions to adult care are seamless and well-coordinated. We work closely with the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab (formerly the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago) and other premier institutions in the Chicago metropolitan area and region to ensure the continuity of care for every child.
Our staff is dedicated to evaluating and treating pediatric patients from infancy through adolescence. The physical therapy team has many years of experience working with children of varying levels of need.
Our Physical Therapy Programs
Lurie Children’s offers many different multidisciplinary programs for children. Our physical therapists currently work as part of the teams evaluating and treating children in various programs.
Conditions Treated with Physical Therapy
Our physical therapists evaluate and treat children with a broad range of pediatric conditions and injuries.View a list
Specialized Physical Therapy Services & Treatments
We offer many specialized physical therapy services for children with conditions that affect their movement.View our services
To make an appointment with one of our specialists, please follow one of the steps below.
Make an Appointment Online
- Existing MyChart users: If you have a Lurie Children's MyChart account, log in at mychart.luriechildrens.org to schedule your appointments.
- New Patients & Non-MyChart users: Please fill out our Online Scheduling Form to schedule an appointment online or request an appointment. After you request an appointment, a MyChart account will be set up for you to schedule appointments online.
Make an Appointment By Phone
Please call 1.800.543.7362 (1.800.KIDS DOC®) for:
- An evaluation of your child by our physical therapists
- An appointment for ongoing physical therapy
Lurie Children's Hospital Outpatient Center in Lincoln Park
2515 N. Clark Street/467 W. Deming Place
Chicago, Illinois 60614-3393
Lurie Children's Hospital Outpatient Center in Northbrook
1131 Techny Road
Northbrook, Illinois 60062
Lurie Children's Hospital Outpatient Center in Westchester
Surgical Treatment Center
2301 Enterprise Drive
Westchester, Illinois 60154
Lurie Children's Hospital Outpatient Center in New Lenox
1870 N. Silver Cross Blvd. (formerly Clinton Street)
New Lenox, Illinois 60451
Rehabilitation Services at Westbrook
Westbrook Corporate Center
11301 West Cermak Road, Suite 100
Westchester, Illinois 60154
Lurie Children's Hospital Outpatient Center in Grayslake
1475 E. Belvidere Rd. (Rte. 120)
Suite 285, Pavilion C
Grayslake, Illinois 60030-2012
Lurie Children’s Hospital Outpatient Center in Skokie
3722 W. Touhy Avenue
Skokie, Illinois 60076
Lurie Children’s Health Services - Arlington Pediatric Therapy
3105 N. Wilke Road
Arlington Heights, Illinois 60004
Your support is vital in helping us continue to make a difference in the lives of patients and families. Lurie Children's relies on philanthropic funding to enhance its programs, services and research for children. To learn more, please e-mail the Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago Foundation at email@example.com or call 312.227.7500.