Specialties & ConditionsAudiology Preparing for Audiology
Preparing for Audiology
Before the Evaluation
- Obtain a physician's referral (order/prescription) for the evaluation
- Bring the referral with you to the appointment or have the physician fax it to the appropriate site
- Check with your insurance provider to verify coverage for evaluation and possible treatment
- If you have additional questions or problems regarding insurance, you may also contact our patient registration account liaison at 312.227.4210
- If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please call 800.543.7362 (1.800 KIDS DOC®) no later than 24 hours before the scheduled appointment
What to Bring to the Evaluation
- Copies of any previous evaluations or progress summaries including Audiology (hearing testing) evaluations, ENT reports, speech/language therapy, developmental/psychological evaluations, and/or an individualized education plan (IEP)
- Any hearing devices your child wears
- The physician referral, if not previously faxed to the department
- If your child is scheduled for a newborn hearing screening or a natural sleep diagnostic auditory brainstem response (ABR) evaluation, please bring any items that will calm and comfort your child. These tests require your child to be asleep. If possible, please keep your child awake leading up to the appointment and hold off on feeding. The audiologist will allow time for you to feed your child prior to testing if this will encourage sleep.
MyChart gives you safe, secure online access to portions of your child's electronic medical record (EMR).