Newborn Screening for Cystic Fibrosis
Newborn screening for cystic fibrosis began in Illinois on January 28, 2008. Working with the State of Illinois and the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Lurie Children’s has developed a CF newborn screening service that offers rapid testing, counseling and initiation of care for infants with positive newborn screening tests.
The service includes quick access to sweat chloride testing and immediate processing of the tests so that families can get a test result and essential counseling services in a single visit. While the sweat test is in process, families can meet with a genetic counselor to learn about the screening and testing process.
Infants who are confirmed to have CF by a positive sweat test are seen immediately by members of the cystic fibrosis team for initiation of appropriate care.
We offer the most comprehensive pulmonary physiology laboratory services in the state. These services include the following:
- Lung disease assessments in infants and young children (available at our Lincoln Park location )
- Infant pulmonary function testing for patients from four months to three years
- Impulse oscillometry to evaluate airway resistance and bronchodilator responsiveness in preschool children
- Evaluations of exercise tolerance and exercise-induced asthma (performed in the cardiopulmonary exercise laboratory)
Our comprehensive, multidisciplinary CF services are available at four sites:
- Lurie Children's Main Hospital
- Outpatient Center in Arlington Heights
- Outpatient Center in Northbrook
- Outpatient Center in Westchester
Our CF Center has been involved in national quality improvement activities sponsored by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. The hospital’s outcome data care can be viewed by registering with the CF Foundation. (Visitors need to register, but access is free of charge.)
Learn more about caring for infants with CF by reading about nutrition in the first year.