We understand how important family is to the healing process. In addition to offering private rooms, the Regenstein CCU features:
- Sixteen dedicated beds for newborns to toddlers, and 20 for children and young adults.
- Connection to Prentice Women’s Hospital, the largest birthing center in the region. This lets us provide immediate care for newborns who need urgent cardiac treatment, while keeping them close to their mothers as they recover from delivery.
- Family space in rooms so that one parent can stay at their child’s bedside 24/7.
- Private consultation rooms for parent-physician conversations.
- Bright, sun-filled Family Great Room for relaxation and recharging.
Advanced Technology & Research
The Regenstein CCU offers the most advanced technology available, including:
- Around-the-clock monitoring of abnormal heart rhythms (telemetry for arrhythmias)
- Patient monitoring accessible from anywhere in the hospital and from remote sites
- Near infrared spectroscopy (NIRS), a noninvasive technology that allows monitoring of the oxygen supply to all parts of your child’s body
- ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenator), an external cardiac and respiratory support device
Committed to improving patient care, our team conducts many quality initiatives. Our physicians are studying:
- How to optimize patient rounds and communication
- Processes to maximize infection control
- The effect that close monitoring in an outpatient setting has on patient results
- The impact of our novel cardiac care model on length of stay after cardiac surgery
Our high-risk patients are transitioned from the hospital for the period of convalescence as HeArT (High-Acuity Transition) patients from the CCU to their primary cardiologist’s care.
Improving Patient Safety & Comfort
As an acuity-adaptable unit, the CCU's patient rooms meet the advanced technological requirements of an intensive-care room while providing the family amenities and comfort of an acute-care, private room. Research shows this model of care greatly improves patient safety and comfort by eliminating the need for transfers to other units in the hospital for treatment.