What Are the Side Effects of a Food Allergy Reaction?
Allergic reactions to food can cause reactions in multiple organ systems. The reactions happen generally within two hours of the exposure to the food but can often happen within minutes. Reactions can include:
- Hives (a raised, itchy rash)
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty swallowing
- Hoarseness or other change in voice
- Wheeze (musical sound with breathing)
- Pain in the belly, with or without nausea
- Feeling faint
- Feeling of impending doom
Every individual with a diagnosis of food allergy should carry an epinephrine auto-injector for emergency use, have a written plan for when to use it, and fully understand when to seek emergency care.