Community & International Health Promotion
In our local community, our nurses play a key role in building child resiliency through:
- Our Mobile Health Program brings high quality clinical services and multifaceted culturally-informed health promotion directly into Chicago communities.
- Lurie Children's Community Volunteer Corps, an opportunity for nurses to serve as educators and advocates for childhood health and safety throughout Chicago. Volunteers attend events and festivals around the city, bringing interactive games and educational materials about important safety and injury prevention topics.
- Summer camp experiences for children living with chronic diseases such as asthma, diabetes, congenital heart defects and more.
- LGBTQ community outreach through the Division of Adolescent Medicine's Adolescent/Young Adult HIV Program and the Stanley Manne Children's Research Institute's Center for Gender, Sexuality and HIV Prevention.
Our nurses are also heavily involved in promoting healthcare as a viable career option for students, especially minorities, through the CHASE Your Dreams: Discovering Healthcare Careers program where they serve as mentors and preceptors for the next generation of healthcare leaders.
On a global level, our nurses make significant contributions in many ways. For some patients, it means a trip to the United States to be treated as an inpatient in our world-class facility in downtown Chicago. This care is coordinated by our International Patient Services team. Once here, our team of nurses provides culturally-competent care in a supportive environment for those travelling so far from home.
For other patients, our team travels to them to provide care through medical mission trips, disaster response efforts, or educational collaborations. This work is vital to our mission and vision and is recognized annually through the Nurse Humanitarian of the Year award.
View a list of past recipients below:
- 2017: Aric Shimek
- 2016: Harriet Hawkins
- 2015: Nancy Naranjo-Garcia
- 2013: Barbara Lockhart
- 2012: Noreen Jamieson
Our team also works tirelessly to advance the field of Pediatrics through research projects and continually present their findings at conferences and consortiums around the world.
Whether it's right here in Chicago or elsewhere around the world, Lurie Children's and our nurses are helping children lead safer, healthier lives. Join us as we work to make our next generation the best, brightest and healthiest yet!