For Healthcare ProfessionalsEducationMedical Education & TrainingTraining Programs Athletic Training Student Clinical Program
Athletic Training Student Clinical Program
The Athletic Training Student Clinical Program is based on pediatric sports medicine and designed to expose students to the physician extender role. The clinical rotation allows the athletic training students to expand their knowledge of pediatric sports medicine and orthopaedics, improve their clinical evaluation skills and increase their knowledge of affiliated healthcare professionals. Students also have the opportunity to work with special populations.
- To expose the athletic training (AT) student to pediatric sports medicine and orthopaedic clinics
- To increase the AT student’s knowledge of pediatric sports medicine and orthopaedics
- To provide the AT student educational opportunities in patient evaluation, management of durable medical equipment, home exercise program implementation and electronic medical record documentation
- Adhere to rotation schedule as outlined by the clinical instructor
- Develop patient education materials on a pre-selected topic
- Present the newly developed patient education materials to sports medicine team
- Facilitate a journal club discussion on an original research article
- Other projects determined by the clinical instructor
- Orthotic/prosthetic manufacturing and application
- Physical therapy observation
- Occupational therapy observation
- Serial casting program
- Surgical observation
- A desire to learn within the field of pediatric sports medicine
- Current enrollment as a senior in a Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) accredited program.
How to Apply
- Applicants are required to interview with Institute for Sports Medicine staff.
- Applications are now accepted on a rolling basis.
- Students should submit their applications/resumes early. We suggest a minimum of 12-16 weeks before their requested start date.
- Submit a cover letter and resume indicating interest in a clinical rotation at Lurie Children’s to: Sarah Vetter, Education/Outcomes Coordinator for Rehabilitative Services at Lurie Children’s. E-mail address: SVetter@luriechildrens.org