Dr. O’Connor is a leading authority in the surgical care and treatment of obesity and obesity-related disorders in teens. She is the only pediatric surgeon in Illinois certified by the American Board of Obesity Medicine.
Dr. O’Connor leads the only bariatric surgery program in the State of Illinois with multidisciplinary expertise specifically dedicated to the treatment of adolescents and their unique medical, behavioral, nutritional and psychological needs. The program is nationally accredited by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP ®), a joint program of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS), as a Comprehensive Center with Adolescent Qualifications, which provides care across the continuum of patient ages.
When behavioral, lifestyle and non-surgical medical interventions fail, bariatric surgery can resolve up to 80 percent of obesity-induced medical conditions. Dr. O’Connor’s interest in surgical weight management in teens was sparked by her observations early in her career that many of her patients had medical and surgical problems stemming from obesity.
In addition to bariatric surgery, Dr. O’Connor has surgical expertise in the treatment of a variety of congenital and acquired diseases in the newborn, child and adolescent, including pediatric trauma and injury, congenital malformations, pediatric tumors and others.
Dr. O’Connor’s research focuses on the surgical management and outcomes of adolescents who undergo weight-loss surgery. Learn more about bariatric surgery for adolescents.
- Sleeve gastrectomy for weight loss
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for weight loss
- Thorascopic Nuss procedure for pectus excavatum
- Abdominal and alimentary tract surgeries
- Bowel surgery
- Mesenteric cyst and mesenteric tumor resection
- Breast surgery
- Pancreatic surgery
- Retroperitoneal tumor resection
- Endocrine surgeries, including surgeries of the adrenal gland
- Congenital neck cyst excision and drainage
- Gynecologic surgeries, including ovary surgery and removal (oophorectomy), hysterectomy and pelvic cyst and tumor removal
- Spleen surgery, splenectomy
- Lymph node biopsy and excision
- Rectal surgery
- Diaphragmatic surgery
- Vascular malformation removal
- Muscle biopsies