Preparing Your Child for a Urine Collection
Your healthcare provider may ask for a urine sample to gather more information about how your child’s body is working.
What to expect during your visit:
- You and your child will be given a container and cleaning wipes.
- Our staff member will walk you and your child to a private bathroom.
- Please use the cleaning wipes before using the bathroom.
- After cleaning, urinate into the container provided.
- Once the container has a sample of urine, place the top back on the container.
- Wash your hands and give the container back to the person assisting you in the lab.
To prepare for your visit, please:
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Please come in 30 minutes before the appointment If your child is diapered or has difficulty using the bathroom independently. We will help you obtain a sample.
- Bring your lab order form (if provided) and your insurance information.
Please ask your healthcare provider for the results of your test.
Having an appointment will expedite your visit, but walk-in appointments are available. To schedule a lab visit, please call 312.227.6350.
Lurie Children’s (Main Hospital)
Outpatient Laboratory Services are on the 3rd and 4th floors at the main hospital. Our hours are:
- Monday through Thursday: 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Friday: 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday: 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Holiday hours: Hours vary, please call 312.227.6350
Outpatient Laboratory Services are available Monday through Friday at these locations:
For hours and appointments at other locations, please call 312.227.6350.