Preparing Your Child for a Sweat Test
Your healthcare provider may ask for a sweat sample to gather more information about how your child’s body is working. This appointment will take about an hour.
To prepare for your visit, please remember:
- Creams and lotions should not be applied to the skin 24 hours before the procedure.
- Drink plenty of fluids to be well hydrated.
- Arrive early for your appointment time to allow for check-in.
- Allow 45 minutes to an hour to complete the test.
- Please bring your insurance information at the time of your visit.
- Please ask your healthcare provider for the results of your test.
What to Expect During a Sweat Test
- First, the arm is cleaned with alcohol and water.
- Next, two gel disks and electrodes are secured to the skin. Both are wrapped with a large latex-free band.
- The electrodes are connected to a machine for 5 minutes. This may cause a tingling sensation. This may be irritating but is not painful.
- The electrodes are removed and a collection device is secured to the skin. You will need to keep it wrapped for 30 minutes.
- The sweat is collected after 30 minutes and the collection device is removed.
- This process will take place on two limbs.
- There may be redness around the skin where the electrodes were placed but skin will return to normal color within an hour or two.
- The electrodes are not harmful although they may cause a tingling/annoying feeling.
To schedule a sweat test appointment, please call 312.227.6350.
Sweat tests are conducted in the Outpatient Lab of the main hospital. Our hours Monday through Friday are 8-10 a.m.