Child Life Internship
The Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago clinical child life internship experience has been accredited by the Child Life Council.
**PLEASE NOTE THAT WE HAVE RECENTLY MADE CHANGES TO OUR CHILD LIFE INTERNSHIP APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS. THESE CHANGES ARE NOW LISTED BELOW UNDER THE ENTRANCE/APPLICATION REQUIREMENT SECTIONS.
Child life internship opportunities are available during the academic year and the summer. Two internship offerings are available to interested students. Interns complete 600 clinical hours during both of the below internship offerings. This is an un-paid internship.
- Our fall internship is a seven-month, three-days-a-week internship that begins in September and continues through mid/end of April.
- Our summer internship is a 16-week, five-days-a-week internship that begins mid/late May and continues until the end of August/beginning of September.
DUE TO THE SEVEN MONTH INTERNSHIP OFFERING, WE DO NOT OFFER A SPRING SEMESTER SPECIFIC CHILD LIFE INTERNSHIP.
- Complete the academic course work portion of the CLC eligibility assessment.
- Successfully complete child life coursework inclusive of the 6 applied areas of study, as required by the CLC.
- Cumulative G.P.A of 3.5
- Supervised hours working with children and families:
- 125 hours of experience with Infants, Children, Youth, and/or Families in Healthcare Settings (e.g., volunteer, practicum student; preferable under the supervision of a CCLS)
- 100 hours of Experience with Well Infants, Children, Youth, and/or Families (e.g., nanny, counselor, teacher)
- 25 hours of experience with Infants, Children, Youth, and/or Families in Stressful Situations (e.g., camps for children with chronic illnesses, programs for children with special needs, advocacy programs, bereavement/hospice experiences)
- **These hours need to be completed and not in progress when application is mailed.**
The Child Life Internship program at Lurie Children’s abides by the deadlines set forth by the Child Life Council. Applications for SUMMER 2017 need to be postmarked by JANUARY 5th, 2017. Please refer to the Child Life Council website for the updated offer and acceptance dates.
Before beginning your application, please review our frequently asked questions here.
In order for your application to be considered, the items listed below must be completed and postmarked by the application deadline. Applications not containing all of the following components will be considered incomplete. All required materials must be sent together in one packet and not separately. When compiling your application, please make sure to have all reference letters or transcripts sent to you prior to mailing application. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE REVIEWED.
- Completed and signed CLC Common Application Form.
- 3 additional written essays (in addition to essay questions in the Common Application):
- Describe why play is at the core of a child life specialist’s work. (200 word minimum)
- Play, preparation and assessment: Describe the importance of utilizing these 3 skills when working with a child and/or family. (200 word minimum)
- Tell us about the most impactful experience from your childhood. (200 word minimum)
- Transcripts from university/college currently enrolled in or most recently attended (unofficial transcripts are allowed)
- Completed portion of Eligibility Assessment from Child Life Council to show completion of 10 required courses
- Confirmation of Child Life Course in Progress Form (if appropriate)
- Confirmation of Child Life Practicum in Progress Form (if appropriate)
- Verification of hours working with children/families in healthcare setting, non-healthcare or well setting and stressful situations. Verification forms need to be completed for experience hours that are included on CL Common Internship Application. Download our verification form.
- Current resume and cover letter
- Three letters of reference from supervisors, employers or advisors who have directly observed and can assess your work with children, parents and professionals. Letters of reference need to be in sealed and signed envelopes
- Non-refundable fee of $25 (American currency only), made payable to Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago. Do not send cash. Check is preferred.
**It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to confirm receipt of application.
Sending an application is not a guarantee of acceptance. Due to the expectation that we provide students with quality supervision/education during placement, a limited number of students are accepted each term. If application is accepted, a personal (on-site) interview is required if applicant lives within 100 miles of Chicago; otherwise a Skype/phone interview may be possible.
Download the Child Life internship application.
Send completed application to:
Lori A. Esch, MS, CCLS
Senior Child Life Specialist, Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago
Lurie Children’s Outpatient Center in Westchester
2301 Enterprise Drive, Box 81, Westchester, Illinois 60154
T 312.227.7925 | F 312.227.9844 | LEsch@luriechildrens.org
Please refer any questions in regards to application and overall internship to:
Emily Rogers, MS, CCLS
Lead Child Life Specialist – Child Life Internship Coordinator
Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago
225 East Chicago Avenue, Box 31 (Rm. 15-120), Chicago, Illinois 60611-2605
T 312.227.3274 | F 312.227.9613 | email@example.com