Facts & Figures
Lurie Children's works to provide the best possible care for patients and their families. The data below provides a deeper insight into our mission and our superior care.
- In fiscal year 2014, we cared for more children than any other pediatric hospital or system in Illinois.
- Lurie Children’s treats more children insured by Medicaid than any other hospital in Illinois.
- In FY14, Lurie Children’s served children from all 50 states and 48 countries.
See how patients and families rate their experience with our care.
Our Medical Staff
- We are the largest pediatric provider in the region. Our medical staff includes 1,353 physicians in 70 pediatric specialties.
- We were the first children’s hospital in the country, and the first hospital in Illinois, to earn the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet Award for Nursing Excellence.
- Lurie Children’s is the only pediatric hospital in Illinois to be ranked in all 10 specialties by U.S.News & World Report — in fact, no other Illinois hospital scored higher in any one specialty area.
- Lurie Children’s was ranked 10th in the country among pediatric hospitals according to an exclusive survey by Parents magazine. The survey focused on key areas including treatment success, groundbreaking research and family-friendly facilities.
See our awards and accolades.
- Lurie Children’s is partnering with the Center for Health Design to examine the impact of hospital design on stress levels of patients and their parents.
- We have a sustainable facility that is twice the square footage of our old hospital, but energy costs have increased by only 20%.
- According to FY14 data, 90.7% of families would recommend our emergency department. See more patient satisfaction scores.
- All 21 operating rooms are equipped for minimally invasive surgery.
Government & Advocacy
Despite severe government funding challenges, in FY14 we invested approximately $125 million in community benefit programs. These included:
- $88 million in losses due to Medicaid reimbursement below cost of services and other uncompensated costs
- $16.8 million for resident and fellow training
- $7.9 million for language assistance services, pastoral care, social work, art and music therapies, hospital volunteer services, transplant patient family housing and other family support services
- $2.8 million in community clinic support
- $1.7 million in child advocacy programs
- 47,000 donors gave $50.8 million in FY14 to support our programs, services and research to help more children and families in need.
- A majority of Family Service programs – and all of our Children’s Services programs – are funded through philanthropic support.
We conduct more pediatric research than any other hospital in the region. Read more about our research programs and follow our research blog, From the Bench
In calendar year 2014, more than 1,400 volunteers gave more than 61,000 hours of their time for play activities, respite to parents and other services. Become a volunteer.
Learn more by visiting the following resources: