Facts & Figures
Lurie Children's works to provide the best possible care for patients and their families. The data below provides a deeper insight into our mission and our superior care.
- In fiscal year 2015, we cared for more children than any other pediatric hospital or system in Illinois.
- Lurie Children’s treats more children insured by Medicaid than any other hospital in Illinois.
- In FY15, Lurie Children’s served children from all 50 states and 46 countries.
See how patients and families rate their experience with our care.
Our Medical Staff
- We are the largest pediatric provider in the region. Our medical staff includes 1,446 physicians in 70 pediatric specialties.
- We were the first children’s hospital in the country, and the first hospital in Illinois, to earn the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet Award for Nursing Excellence.
- Lurie Children’s is the only pediatric hospital in Illinois to be ranked in all 10 specialties by U.S.News & World Report — in fact, no other Illinois hospital scored higher in any one specialty area.
- Lurie Children’s was ranked 10th in the country among pediatric hospitals according to an exclusive survey by Parents magazine. The survey focused on key areas including treatment success, groundbreaking research and family-friendly facilities.
See our awards and accolades.
- Lurie Children’s is partnering with the Center for Health Design to examine the impact of hospital design on stress levels of patients and their parents.
- We have a sustainable facility that is twice the square footage of our old hospital, but energy costs have increased by only 20%.
- According to FY15 data, 88.9% of families in procedural services would recommend our hospital. See more patient satisfaction scores.
- All 21 operating rooms are equipped for minimally invasive surgery.
Government & Advocacy
Despite severe government funding challenges, in FY15 we invested approximately $127 million in community benefit programs. These included:
- $89 million in losses due to Medicaid reimbursement below cost of services and other uncompensated costs
- $16.7 million for resident and fellow training
- $9.1 million for language assistance services, pastoral care, social work, art and music therapies, hospital volunteer services, transplant patient family housing and other family support services
- $3.2 million in community clinic support
- $2 million in child advocacy programs
Philanthropic support is essential to Lurie Children’s in order to provide the highest quality, family–centered pediatric care and research for children. Lurie Children’s Foundation partners with individual, families, foundations and corporations to raise important funds to sustain and advance the programs, services, technology and recruitment needs of Lurie Children’s and help the hospital care for more than 173,000 children annually.
Learn more about our foundation and how you can get involved.
We conduct more pediatric research than any other hospital in the region. Read more about our research programs and follow our research blog, From the Bench
In calendar year 2014, more than 1,400 volunteers gave more than 61,000 hours of their time for play activities, respite to parents and other services. Become a volunteer.
Learn more by visiting the following resources: