Poison Prevention & Home Safety

Take a look at our safety tips for preventing home poison accidents where they’re found in your house.

Kitchen

  • Keep all medicines and cleaning supplies out of your children’s reach
  • Keep all sharp objects out of reach and away from the edges of counters
  • Use safety latches on drawers and cabinets
  • Keep hot foods and liquids away from young children
  • Use the stove's back burners and turn pot handles toward the back of the stove
  • Use safety latches on drawers and cabinets

Bathroom

  • Never leave your child alone in the bathtub
  • Set the thermostat of your hot water heater no higher than 120 degrees
  • Check the temperature of your child's bath water before placing him or her in the tub
  • Keep the toilet lid closed
  • Lock the medicine cabinet

Bedroom

Keep cribs away from windows and blind cords. To learn more about blind cord safety, visit the Window Covering Safety Council's website.

Learn about the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission new crib safety standard and the ban of drop side-rail cribs.

Poison Prevention

Keep the Illinois Poison Center number by each phone: 800.222.1222

  • Teach children to always ask first before eating or drinking anything
  • Store all medicines, including over-the-counter medications, out of sight and reach of children, in child-resistant bottles and in locked cabinets
  • Never refer to medications or vitamins as candy
  • Keep purses and other bags with medications out of reach of children
  • Store all household products and chemicals out of reach of children
  • Store all household products in the containers they came in with the labels on them; do not put them in other containers such like soda cans, milk cartons or water jugs
  • Throw away old medicine and household products that are not used anymore
  • Use cabinet latches to stop children from getting to household products and medications
  • Keep make-up, hair spray, cologne and other personal products away from children
  • Know which plants in your home may be toxic; be sure to keep toxic plants out of reach of children
  • Make sure that there is no peeling or chipped paint around areas where children eat, sleep or play
  • Put smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors near sleeping areas
  • Teach children to stay away from things that could be poisonous

Please note that it is no longer recommended to stock syrup of Ipecac in your home.

If a poisoning occurs, stay calm.

If the poison is swallowed, do not give the child anything to eat or drink and do NOT induce vomiting. Immediately contact the poison control center.

If the poison is inhaled, move the child to fresh air and immediately contact the poison control center.

If the poison is on the skin, remove clothing that contains poison. Rinse the skin with water for 10 minutes, and then contact the poison control center.

If the poison is in the eye, flush the eye with water for 15 minutes, and then contact the poison control center.

When you contact the poison control center at 1.800.222.1222, have the following information available:

  • Time the poisoning occurred
  • Product that the child was exposed to; have the container nearby
  • How much the child ingested
  • Any treatment given
  • Child's age, weight, and condition
  • Any preexisting medical problems
  • Your name and telephone number

General Home Safety

  • Use safety gates at the top and bottom of stairs
  • Install carbon monoxide detectors
  • Test smoke detectors monthly
  • Keep guns unloaded and locked up
  • Use secure, broad-based carts for TV's and other appliances

Install window falls prevention products on windows. Windows should not be opened more than four inches if there are young children in the house. Remember that screens keep bugs out, they do not keep children in. If possible, open windows from the top only.