Pediatric Cardiology (Heart Center)
The Heart Center at Lurie Children’s provides the highest quality care for patients with the most complex and serious heart conditions. As the region’s largest children’s heart center, we care for more patients with cardiac conditions than any other hospital in Illinois. We use the most comprehensive heart evaluations and treatments to deliver high quality care from admission, to discharge, to follow-up. We provide cardiac care to pregnant mothers, infants, children and young adults, and our services range from cardiac disease prevention to heart transplantation.
Our experts have a wide range of experience, treating thousands of patients with heart complications annually.
- Each year, our cardiologists see more than 10,000 pediatric patients in outpatient diagnostic visits and more than 300 inpatients.
- Our interventional cardiologists perform more than 550 cardiac catheterization procedures, including implanting a pulmonary valve, which is a less invasive procedure than surgical valve replacement.
- On average, our heart surgeons perform 450 heart surgeries each year, with one of the best survival rates for congenital heart surgery among the nation’s 40 largest and most advanced children’s hospitals — even for heart transplants.
Lurie Children’s is ranked 11th in the nation for child cardiology and heart surgery by U.S.News & World Report.
Our Heart Center offers many specialized programs, from fetal cardiology to adult congenital heart disease. We are nationally and internationally renowned for the diagnosis and treatment of irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmia) and for helping pioneer the treatment of pediatric congenital heart disease through procedures like the Fontan conversion.
We have performed more pediatric heart transplants since 1988 than any other healthcare provider in Illinois. Our first-year survival rate for heart transplant patients, more than 95%, far exceeds the national average of 87%, and our long-term survival rates are also exceptional. The Society of Thoracic Surgeons rated Lurie Children’s as a 3-Star hospital, the highest rating level awarded, in their Fall 2016 Harvest Report of the STS Congenital Cardiac Surgery Database. Learn more.
The Heart Center is also home to the Regenstein Cardiac Care Unit, which was built to ensure the continuity of care from admit to discharge, and is staffed by a team of specialists that meet the unique needs of its patients.
Our pediatric heart team includes:
Our goal is to provide your child and family with the highest quality heart care. Our experienced, multidisciplinary teams of pediatric specialists make it easier for patients to see every specialist they may need under one roof and often in the same visit.
Our multidisciplinary programs include:
Our physician-scientists are pioneering new cures, preventions and treatments for complex cardiac conditions through clinical and translational research. The Center for Cardiovascular Innovation focuses on interventions to improve outcomes and quality of life for children with high-risk complex heart disease.
Our scientific discovery efforts are supported by the Heart Center Research Core, a multi-disciplinary team to support significant and innovative clinical, translational and basic research.
We’re also conducting ongoing studies that concern:
- The underlying causes of heart failure
- Using patients’ own cells to correct life threatening conditions
- Novel therapies to improve neurodevelopmental outcomes and treat neurodevelopmental issues in congenital heart disease survivors
- Transitional care from adolescence to adulthood for high-risk cardiovascular patients
- Novel aortic valve and aorta imaging
- Pioneering new therapies for patients with Marfan syndrome
Conditions We Treat
Our pediatric cardiologists evaluate and treat both congenital and acquired heart diseases. Learn more about the wide range of conditions we treat.
Make an Appointment
If you’d like to request an appointment with one of our specialists, call 1.800.543.7362 (1.800.KIDS DOC®). You can also request an appointment online.
Our specialists see patients at the main hospital and our outpatient centers.
Fetal and neonatal cardiologists also see patients at Prentice Women’s Hospital.
Your support is vital in helping us continue to make a difference in the lives of patients and families. Lurie Children’s relies on philanthropic funding to enhance its programs, services and research for children. To learn more, please e-mail Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 312.227.7500 or make a gift today.