The General Academic Pediatrics team at Lurie Children’s recommends the following medical articles.
- Abrams MA, Drey BP, eds. Plain Language Pediatrics, Health Literacy Strategies and Communication Resources for Common Pediatric Topics. Elk Grove Village, IL; American Academy of Pediatrics: 2009.
- Arguelles LM, Langman CB, Ariza AJ, Naseer AF, et al. Heritability and environmental factors affecting vitamin D status in rural Chinese adolescent Twins. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009 Sep;94(9):3273-81. Epub 2009 Jun 23.
- Ariza AJ, Laslo KM, Thomson JS, Seshadri R, Binns HJ; for the Pediatric Practice Research Group. Promoting growth interpretation and lifestyle counseling in primary care. J Pediatr. 2009 Apr;154(4):596-601.e1. Epub 2008 Nov 22.
- Antommaria AHM, Trotochaud K, Kinlaw K, Hopkins PN, Frader J. Donation after cardiac death policies at children's hospitals: A mixed methods analysis of variation. JAMA. 2009;301(18):1902-1908.
- Bao J, Desai V, Christoffel K. Prevalence of obesity among children and/or grandchildren of adult bariatric surgery patients. Obesity Surgery. 2009;17:833-839. DOI 10.1007/s11695-009-9835-5.
- Bayldon B, Latimer T. "Chest Lumps," in Visual Diagnostics in Pediatrics, 2nd ed., Chung EK, Atkinson-McEvoy L, Boom JA, Matz PS. (In press.
- Becker AB, Longjohn M, Christoffel K Kaufer, Taking on childhood obesity in a big city: Consortium to Lower Obesity in Chicago Children (CLOCC). Progress in Pediatric Cardiology. 2008;25(2):199-206.
- Berger S. “Foreign Diplomacy,” in Service of Infants and their Families, Lead Article. Illinois Association for Infant Mental Health Newsletter, Winter, 2008.
- Berger SP, Hopkins J, Strickland J, Bae H, Hella B. “Infant Assessment.” Chapter 15, volume II. Blackwell Handbook of Infant Development, 2nd edition. (In press)
- Binns HJ, O'Neil J, Benuck I, Ariza AJ; for the Pediatric Practice Research Group. Influences on parents' decisions for home and automobile smoking bans in households with smokers. Patient Educ Counsel. 2009 Feb;74(2):272-6. Epub 2008 Oct 19.
- Dowshen N, Binns HJ, Garafalo R. Experiences of HIV-related stigma among young men who have sex with men. AIDS Patient Care STDs. 2009 May;23(5):371-6.
- Evans WD, Necheles J, Becker AB, Christoffel KK, Snider J, Social marketing as a childhood obesity prevention strategy. Obesity. 2009 (in press).
- Flaherty EG, Sege RD, Griffith J, Price LL, Wasserman R, Slora E, Dhepyasuwan N, Harris D, Norton D, Angelilli ML, Abney D, Binns HJ. From suspicion of physical child abuse to reporting: Primary care clinician decision-making. Pediatrics. 2008;122:611-619.
- Flaherty EG, Sege R, Griffith J, Price LL, Wasserman R, Slora E, Dhepyasuwan N, Harris D, Norton D, Angelilli ML, Abney D, Binns H. From suspicion of child physical abuse to reporting: Primary care clinician decision-making. Pediatrics. 2008:122:2007-2311.
- Flaherty EG, Sege RD, Hurley TP, Translating child abuse research into action. Pediatrics. 2008:715c.
- Flaherty EG, Sege RD, Hurley TP, Baker A. Strategies for saving and improving children's lives. Pediatrics. 2008:715g.
- Flaherty EG, Thompson R, Litrownik AJ, Zolotor AG, Dubowitz H, Runyan DK, English DJ, Everson MD. Adverse childhood exposures and reported child heath at age 12. Academic Pediatrics. 2009;9:150-156.
- Fortu JM, Kim IK, Cooper A, Condra C, Lorenz DJ, Pierce MC. Psychiatric patents in the pediatric emergency department undergoing routine urine toxicology screens for medical clearance: Results and use. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2009;25(6):387-92.
- Frader J. The significance of empirical bioethics for medical practice—a physician's view. In, Jacoby L, Siminoff L, eds., Empirical Methods for Bioethics: A Primer. Elsevier Pub: 2008.
- Glusman M. “Choosing Over the Counter Medicines for Your Child. In Plain Language.” Pediatric Education: Handouts for Common Pediatric Topics. Abrams M, Dryer B, eds. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2008.
- Glusman M. “Constipation. In Plain Language.” Pediatric Education: Handouts for Common Pediatric Topics. Abrams M, Dryer B, eds. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2008.
- Glusman M. “Prescription Medicines and Your Child. In Plain Language.” Pediatric Education: Handouts for Common Pediatric Topics. Abrams M, Dryer B, eds. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2008.
- Glusman M. “Using Liquid Medicines. In Plain Language.” Pediatric Education: Handouts for Common Pediatric Topics. Abrams M, Dryer B, eds. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy Of Pediatrics; 2008.
- Glusman, M. Leyendo Juntos: Spanish Language Literacy Promotion for Primary Care Providers Published by Reach Out and Read. June 2009.
- Goldberg A, Frader J. “Holding on and letting go: Ethical issues regarding the care of children with cancer.” In Angelos P, ed, Ethical Issues in Cancer Patient Care, 2nd Ed., Springer; 2008.
- Gupta RS, Amsden LB, Collins ET, Holl JL. Welfare reform: The impact of preschool children's health on child care and mother's work. Illinois Child Welfare J. 2009. In press.
- Gupta RS, Kim JS, Barnathan JA, Amsden LB, Tummala LS, Holl JL. Food allergy knowledge, attitudes and beliefs: Focus groups of parents, physicians and the general public. BMC Pediatr, 2008;8:36.
- Gupta RS, Kim J, Springston EE, Pongracic JA, Holl J. Development of the Chicago Food Allergy Research Surveys: Assessing knowledge, attitudes and beliefs of parents, physicians and the general public. BMC Health Service Research. 2009 Aug 7;9:142.
- Gupta RS, Kim J, Springston EE, Pongracic JA, Wang X, Holl J. Food allergy knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs in the United States. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2009 Jul;103(1):43-50.
- Gupta RS, Pascoe J, Blanchard T, Langkamp D, Duncan P, Gorski P, Southward L. Child health in child care: A multi-state survey of head start and non-head start child care directors. J of Pediatric Healthcare. 2009;23:143-149.
- Gupta RS, Springston EE, Kim J, Pongracic JA, Wang X, Holl J. Food allergy knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs of primary care physicians. Pediatrics. 2010 Jan;125(1):126-32. Epub 2009 Dec 7.
- Gupta RS, Springston EE, Weiss KB. Eliminating asthma disparities: Is there evidence of progress? Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2009;15:72-8.
- Gupta RS, Weiss KB. The 2007 NAEPP asthma guidelines: Accelerating their implementation and facilitating their impact on children with asthma. Pediatrics. 2009;123:S193-S198.
- Gupta RS, Xingyou Z, Sharp L, Janowiak C, Shannon J, Weiss KB. The protective effect of community factors on childhood asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009; 123:1297-304.
- Gupta RS, Zhang X, Sharp L, Weiss KB. Geographic variability in childhood asthma prevalence in Chicago. J Allerg Clin Immunol. 2008;121:639-645. EDITOR'S CHOICE.
- Hoehn KS, Frader JE. Approaching parents for organ donation: Who and when? Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2008;9(2):234-235.
- Hong X, Tsai H, Liu X, Li Z, Liu X, Tang G, Xing H, Yang J, Wang B, Feng Y, Xu Xin, Xu Xiping, Wang X. A large-scale genome-wide linkage analysis to map loci linked to stature in Chinese population. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2008 Nov;93(11):4511-8. Aug 26. PMC2582574.
- Jones R, Flaherty EG, Binns HJ, Price LL, Slora E, Abney D, Harris D, Christoffel KK, Sege RD. Clinicians' description of factors influencing their reporting of suspected child abuse: Report of the Child Abuse Reporting Experience Study Research Group. Pediatrics. 2008;122;259-266.
- Katz BZ, Shirashi Y, Mears CJ, Binns HJ, Taylor R. Chronic fatigue syndrome in adolescents: A prospective cohort study. Pediatrics. 2009;124;189-193.
- Kumar R, Yu Y, Story R, Pongracic J, Gupta RS, Pearson C, Ortiz K, Bauchner H, Wang X. Prematurity, chorioamnionitis and the development of recurrent wheezing: A prospective birth cohort study. J Allerg Clin Immunol. 2008; 121:878-884.
- Lavigne J, LeBailly SA, Gouze KR, Binns HJ, Keller J, Pate L. Predictors and correlates of completing behavioral parent training for the treatment of oppositional defiant disorder in pediatric primary care. Behav Ther. 2009 (in press).
- Lavigne JV, LeBailly SA, Gouze K, Cicchetti C, Jessup B, Arend R, Pochyly J, Binns HJ. Predictor and moderator effects in the treatment of oppositional defiant disorder in pediatric primary care. J Pediatr Psychol. 2008;33:462-72.
- Lavigne JV, LeBailly SA, Gouze K, Cicchetti C, Pochyly J, Arend R, Jessup BW, Binns HJ. Treating oppositional defiant disorder in primary care: A comparison of three models. J Pediatr Psychol. 2008;33:449-61.
- Lavigne JV, LeBailly SA, Hopkins J, Gouze KR, Binns HJ. The prevalence of ADHD, ODD, depression and anxiety in a community sample of 4-year-olds. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol, 2009;38:315-328.
- Malone A, Gupta RS, Lyttle C, Weiss KB. Characterizing community-based asthma knowledge in Chicago and its high risk communities. J of Asthma. 2008; 45:313-318.
- Manning KM, Ariza AJ, Massimino TK, Binns HJ; for the Pediatric Practice Research Group. Health supervision visits of very young children: Time addressing three key topics. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2009 Nov;48(9):931-8. Epub 2009 May 29.
- Martin LA, Ariza AJ, Thomson JS, Binns HJ; for the Pediatric Practice Research Group. Seconds for care: Evaluation of five health supervision visit topics using a new method. J Pediatr. 2008;153:706-711, e2.
- Martin LA, Dilley KJ, Ariza AJ, Sullivan C, Seshadri R, Binns HJ; for the Pediatric Practice Research Group. Detection of household tobacco use status and documentation of tobacco-related care in pediatric practice. Academic Pediatrics. 2009 Sep-Oct;9(5):353-9. Epub 2009 Jul 25,2009.
- Martin LA, Dilley KJ, Ariza AJ, Sullivan C, Seshadri R, Binns HJ; for the Pediatric Practice Research Group. Tobacco-related documentation in pediatric practice. Academic Pediatrics. 2009 Sep-Oct;9(5):353-9. Epub 2009 Jul 25.
- Michelson KN, Ryan AD, Borko J, Frader J. Pediatric residents' and fellows' perspectives on palliative care education. J Palliative Med. 2009;12(5):451-457.
- Miller-Robbins JL, Binns HJ, Brickman WJ. Complementary and alternative medicine use in children with type 1 diabetes: A pilot survey of parents. Explore (NY). 2008;4:311-314.
- Nsiah-Kumi PA, Ariza AJ, Mikhail LM, Feinglass J, Binns HJ; for the Pediatric Practice Research Group. Family history and parents' beliefs about consequences of overweight in children and their ability to influence their children's health behaviors. Acad Pediatr. 2009 Jan-Feb;9(1):53-9.
- Ouyang F, Necheles J, Wang B, Ma W, Li Z, Liu X, Tang G, Xing H, Xu X, Venners SA, Brickman WJ, Christoffel KK, Zimmerman D, Wang X. Association of surrogate and direct measures of adiposity with risk of metabolic syndrome in rural Chinese women. European Journal of Nutrition. 2009 Sep;48(6):323-32. Epub 2009 Apr 1. DOI 10.1007/s00394-009-0016-z.
- Padmanabhan P, Berkenbosch JW, Lorenz D, Pierce MC. Evaluation of cerebral oxygenation during procedural sedation in children using near infrared spectroscopy. Ann Emerg Med. 2009 Aug;54(2):205-13. Epub 2009 Mar 13.
- Pierce MC, Bertocci G. Injury biomechanics and child abuse. Annu Rev Biomed Eng. 2008;10:85-106.
- Pierce MC, Kaczor K, Aldridge S, O'Flynn J, Lorenz D. Bruising characteristics discriminate physical child abuse from accidental trauma in young children. Pediatrics. Accepted July 2009. (in press)
- Pierce MC, Smith S, Kaczor K. Bruising in infants: Those with a bruise may be abused. Pediatr Emerg Care. Accepted Oct 2008. (in press)
- Rankin KM, Cooper A, Sanabria K, Binns HJ, Onufer C. Illinois Medical Home Project: Pilot intervention and evaluation. Am J Med Qual. 2009;24:302-309.
- Ross LF, Frader JE. Hypoplastic left heart syndrome: A paradigm case for examining conscientious objection in pediatric practice. J Pediatr. 2009;155(1):12-15.
- Schroeder A, Kumar R, Pongracic JA, Sullivan CL, Caruso DM, Costello J, Meyer KE, Vucic Y, Yu Y, Zhang S , Gupta RS, Kim JS, Fuleihan R, Wang X. Is food allergy associated with an increased risk of asthma? Clin Exp Allergy. 2009; 39:261-270.
- Sege RD, Flaherty EG, Forty years later—Inconsistencies in reporting of child abuse. Archives of Diseases in Childhood. 2008:93;822-824; originally published online 6 June 2008. Doi:10.1136 adc.2006.100545.
- Shulman ST, Tanz RR, Dale JB, Beall B, Kabat W, Kabat K, Cederlund E, Patel D, Rippe J, Li Z, Sakota V, and the North American Streptococcal Pharyngitis Surveillance Group. Seven-year surveillance of North American pediatric Group A streptococcal pharyngitis isolates. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;49:78-84.
- Sleeper E, Ariza AJ, Binns HJ. Do hospitalized pediatric patients have weight and blood pressure concerns identified? J Pediatr. 2009 Feb;154(2):213-7. Epub 2008 Oct 2.
- Tanz RR. Injury prevention and safety. Pediatric Annals. 2008;37:582-583 (editorial).
- Tanz RR, Gerber MA, Kabat W, Rippe J, Seshadri R, Shulman ST. Performance of a rapid antigen detection test and throat culture in community pediatric offices: Implications for management of pharyngitis. Pediatrics. 2009;123:437-444.
- Thompson A, Bertocci G, Pierce MC. Assessment of head injury risk associated with feet-first free falls in 12-month-old children using an anthropomorphic test device. J Trauma. 2009;66(4):1019-29.
- Trapp LW, Ryan AA, Ariza AJ, Garcia CM, Binns HJ; for the Pediatric Practice Research Group. Primary care identification of infants at high risk for overweight and obesity. Clin Pediatr. 2009 April;48(3):3:3-6. Epub 2008 Aug 25.
- Tsai H, Liu X, Mestan K, Yu Y, Zhang S, Pearson C, Ortiz K, Zuckerman B, Bauchner H, Cerda S, Stubblefield P, Xu X, Wang X. Maternal cigarette smoking, metabolic gene polymorphisms, and preterm delivery: New insights on GxE interactions and pathogenic pathways. Human Genetics. 2008;123:359-69
- Turner T, Cull W.L., Bayldon B, Klass P, Sanders L, Fritner MP, Abrams MA, Benard D. Pediatricians and health literacy: Descriptive results from a national survey. Pediatrics. 2009 Nov;124 Suppl 3:S299-305.
- Valvano TJ, Binns HJ, Flaherty EG, Leonhardt DE. Does bruising help determine which fractures are caused by abuse? Child Maltreat. 2009 Nov;14(4):376-81. Epub 2008 Nov 10.
- Warkentine F, Kim I, Pierce MC. The anatomic relationship of femoral vein to femoral artery in euvolemic pediatric patients by ultrasonography: Implications for pediatric femoral cental venous access. Acad Emerg Med. 2008;15(5):426-30.
- Welch KR, Ariza AJ, Wieczorek JL, Binns HJ. Characteristics of obese children aged 1-4 years at a referral clinic. J Natl Med Assoc. 2008:100;884-891.
- Zhang S, Liu X, Brickman WJ , Christoffel KK, Zimmerman D, Tsai H-J, Wang G, Wang B, Li Z, Tang G, Liu X, Yang J, Xu X, Wang X. Association of plasma leptin concentrations with adiposity measurements in rural Chinese adolescents. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2009 Sep;94(9):3497-504. Epub 2009 Jul 7. DOI 10.1210/jc.2009-1060
- Zhang S, Liu X, Yu Y, Hong X, Christoffel KK, Wang B, Tsai H-J, Li Z, Liu X, Tang G, Xing H, Brickman WJ, Zimmerman D, Xu X, Wang X, Genetic and environmental contributions to phenotypic components of metabolic syndrome: A population-based twin study. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009 Aug;17(8):1581-7. Epub 2009 Apr 30.