Education & Training
The Audiology Department at Lurie Children’s offers a challenging and exciting 12-month pediatric externship for Doctor of Audiology (Au.D.) students. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, a strong team player and have a strong desire for a career as a pediatric audiologist. Read more about the goals of our Au.D. externship
We are currently accepting applications for our June 2017-June 2018 externship. The application deadline is September 23, 2016. If selected, candidates will be invited for an in-person interview. In order to be considered for this externship, our electronic application, two electronic reference forms and an official copy of your transcript need to be received by September 23, 2016.
The electronic application will ask for the following:
- Demographic information
- Contact information of placement coordinator at your University
- Contact hours with adults and pediatrics
- Letter of Intent
- In essay format, not to exceed one page, answer the following:
- What do you hope to achieve during your externship period?
- How will your externship benefit your professional development?
- Why do you want to be a pediatric audiologist?
- In the profession of Audiology – what are you particularly passionate about – what sparks your interest?
- Describe your clinical experience, including the name and dates of each placement. For each site include a brief description of the populations served, the percentage of pediatrics seen at each site, and specific audiological skills mastered.
- Languages that you speak/write other than English.
- Note any special skills, abilities, or talents you would like us to know about.
- Briefly describe any volunteer activities related to the field of Audiology that you feel are pertinent.
- Two references are required
- The first must be from a clinic supervisor from your university
- The second must be from a non-university clinic supervisor
- Once you have identified the individuals who will be providing a reference for you, please share this link with them: https://luriechildrens.formstack.com/forms/aud_reference. This is a form for them to fill out in lieu of a formal reference letter.
Applicants will need to mail an official copy of their Au.D. Program transcript to:
Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago
225 East Chicago Avenue, Box 148
Chicago, Illinois 60611-2605
Attn: Audiology Externship - Patrick Conaway Au.D.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Martha Ellsworth immediately at 312.227.6966 or at email@example.com.