Sarah & Peer Pedersen Family Learning Center
Lurie Children’s prides itself on being a reliable source of information on your child’s diagnosis — and the Sarah and Peer Pedersen Family Learning Center (PFLC) is here to help with that mission.
Located on the 12th floor behind the red fire truck the PFLC is a resource space where all patients and families can access educational resources, learn more about our services and read through consumer health materials. Our materials provide information on topics including, but not limited to:
Using this space to research and discover more information about any healthcare topic also gives you access to our knowledgeable staff’s guidance. We have computers available for inpatient and outpatient caregivers’ research, and we also offer support groups and weekly classes.
We also have a list of reliable health information websites. View the list.
The PFLC is open for visitors from 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. Mondary through Friday.
The PFLC offers classes and support for the following topics:
- Breastfeeding support
- Car seat safety - Make an appointment to learn more about correct installation of your child's car seat, and get valuable one-on-one instruction with a certified car seat technician. Visit luriechildrens.org/carseatclass to schedule your appointment.
- La hora del café
- Injury prevention (seasonal)
- Trach care
- Essentials of Food Allergy - Sponsored by the Division of Allergy & Immunology and the Pedersen Family Learning Center, these workshops offer families valuable information on allergic reactions, the Emergency Action Plan, injectable epinephrine, and more. Visit our registration page for specific topics and dates.
- Kids' Food Allergy Hangout - date to be announced soon.
- Spanish Language Classes - register here.
For schedules and additional information, please contact Suma Rao-Gupta at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.227.4709.
Asthma Education Videos
The videos below give viewers an in-depth look at asthma and some of the medication delivery methods.
What is Asthma?
Holding Chamber with Mouthpiece
Holding Chamber with Mask
Helping Your Child Use An Auto-Injector (EpiPen)
Helping Your Child Use a Nebulizer Machine
Helping Your Child Use Nasal Spray
Asthma Discharge Education
How to Give Intrasanal Versed
Learn how to give intrasanal versed to a child in the video below.